Professor, School of NursingDirector, Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention
Dr. Joan L. Bottorff is Director of UBC’s Institute for Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention and a faculty member in the School of Nursing. She has extensive expertise in qualitative research methods and is currently Editor-in-Chief of Global Qualitative Nursing Research (Sage).
PhD, University of Alberta
MN, University of Alberta
MEd, University of Saskatchewan
BEd, University of Saskatchewan
BScN, University of Alberta
UBC Distinguished University Scholar
Fellow, Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
Other Selected Awards:
Lifetime Achievement Award, Canadian Association of Psychosocial Oncology, 2017
Researcher of the Year Award, UBC Okanagan Campus, 2013
Dr. Bottorff’s current research focuses on the development of novel gender-sensitive and gender-specific interventions to strengthen tobacco reduction among women and men, and to enhance cancer prevention initiatives targeting other health behaviours. She is also a co-investigator on research teams developing new approaches to promote men’s health, support lifestyle change across diverse groups and contexts, and support rural palliative caregivers. She teaches courses in research methods, nursing theory and nursing education.
Bottorff, J. L. (Co-PI). Campus Health (VOICE) project. BC Ministry of Health (with oversight by Interior Health), 2015-2018, and 2018-2021.
Expectant and new fathers
Men and women at risk for or affected by cancer
Integrated knowledge translation
Gender and health-promoting behaviour
ehealth health promotion
|Canadian Cancer Society||Interior Health|
|BC Cancer Agency||Northern Health|
|BC Lung Association||The Bridges Youth and Family Services|
- Caperchione, C. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), Development, delivery, and evaluation of the HAT-TRICK Train-the-Trainer Module, MSFHR, 2018-2019.
- Bottorff, J.L. (PI), Dads in Gear: A tobacco reduction program for Aboriginal communities in BC. First Nations Health Authority, 2016-2018.
- Bottorff, J.L. (PI), Healthy weights for children- Phase 3 project evaluation, The Bridge Youth and Family Service Society / Public Health Agency of Canada, 2017-2020.
- Caperchione, C. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), HAT-TRICK: Physical activity, healthy eating and connectedness in male hockey fans, Canadian Cancer Society, 2016-2018.
- Bottorff, J.L. & Oliffe, J.L. (Co-PIs), Dads in Gear: An innovative men-centred approach to smoking cessation, Canadian Cancer Society, 2014-2017.
- Bottorff, J.L. (NPI), Harmonization: Building a collaborative framework for cancer prevention, Canadian Cancer Society, 2012-2017.
- Sawatzky, R. (NPI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), Integrating a quality of life assessment and practice support system in homecare services for older adults with life-limiting illness and their families. CIHR, 2015-2019.
- Sawatzky, R. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), Integrating a quality of life assessment and practice support system in palliative homecare. Technology Evaluation for the Elderly Network, 2014-2016.
- Caperchione, C. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), If they build it, will they act? Novel approaches to increasing physical activity among breast cancer survivors, Canadian Cancer Society, 2014-2016.
- Oliffe, J.L. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), Masculinities and men’s depression and suicide network, Movember Canada, 2013-2016.
- Oliffe, J.L. (PI), Bottorff, J.L. (CI), Advancing the health promotion efforts of prostate cancer support groups, CIHR, 2012-2016.
Visit Dr. Bottorff’s graduate students’ Theses & Dissertations for examples of graduate student research.
Dr. Bottorff is available to supervise graduate students including MSN thesis and non-thesis, and IGS Master’s and PhD.