Dr.Kurtz is Métis and mixed European ancestry. She works with multi-sector university-Indigenous community Indigenous-led collaborative teams in cultural safety education and research beyond social determinants of health, to foster respectful non-racist, non-discriminatory health care education, services and policy. Donna uses decolonizing gender relevant, equity based Indigenous methodologies in health promotion and health system change that benefit Indigenous peoples and communities across generations. As the Faculty of Health and Social Development Indigenous Health Liaison, she supports Indigenous nursing student recruitment, retention, and peer mentorship. She works closely with and is guided by local Elders and Knowledge Keepers in education, research and practice.
PhD, Deakin University, Australia – Dissertation: Contributing to health reform: Urban Aboriginal women speak out
MN, Deakin University, Australia – Thesis: A community-based approach of action for heart health wellness in a small rural Canadian community.
BSN (Hons.) University of Victoria, Canada
Nursing Management and Leadership Certificate (Masters Level), McMaster University, Canada
Canadian Diabetes Association, Diabetes Educator Certification, 1994, 1999
Métis Association of British Columbia Order of the Sash
Registered Nurses Association of BC (Kelowna Chapter) Professional Distinction Award (2005)
Canadian Diabetes Association Length of Service Award (2003)
Marion Merrel Dow Diabetes Education Chapter of the Year Award (1995)
International Journal of Health and Wellness‘s 2020 International Award for Excellence, Top 10 highest-ranked articles from peer-reviewed process and invited speaker. Snook, K., Kurtz, D.L.M., Cash, P., & Vinek, J. (2020) Love in healthcare: A Gadamerian Inquiry into Nurses’ Experience, IJHWS, 10(1), 13-32. doi:10.18848/2156-8960/CGP/v10i01/13-32.http://kc.cgpub.net/index.php/health/journal/awards
International Journal of Health and Wellness‘s 2013 International Award for Excellence, Top 10 highest-ranked articles from peer-reviewed process and invited speaker. Kurtz, Donna L. M., deSales Turner, Jessie Nyberg, and Diana Moar. 2014. “Social Justice and Health Equity: Urban Aboriginal Women’s Action for Health Reform.” The International Journal of Health, Wellness, and Society 3 (4): 13-26. doi:10.18848/2156-8960/CGP/v03i04/41081. Justice and Health Equality: Urban http://healthandsociety.com/publications/journal/journal-awards
Research Intern – Summer Research Internship Program in Multiple Interventions for Community Health Nursing (2005). School of Nursing Faculty of Health Sciences Centre for Multiple Interventions, Institute of Population Health University of Ottawa.
- Indigenous health (Traditional, Western) (urban, rural, remote)
- Health and Gender Equity
- Cultural Safety
- Chronic Disease Prevention and Management
- Primary health care
- Mental health
- Women’s health
- Decolonizing Strength-based Qualitative research
Research Lab: Indigenous Health Promotion and Cultural Safety Lab
Community Based Led
Cultural safety education/practice
Indigenous health science student recruitment and retention
Cariboo Friendship Society
Kamloops Aboriginal Friendship Society
Kelowna Metis Community Services BC
Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society
Lillooet Friendship Centre Society
Métis Community Services Society of BC
North Okanagan Friendship Center Society
Métis Nation British Columbia
UBC Southern Medical Program
SELECT RESEARCH PROJECTS (Last 5 years)
- Sanita, S, Kurtz,DLM., & Kandola, K (PIs) & International team, Otway,M,BroughtonS, Carnogurskey, J Delancey D, Doucette,K, Greenland-Morgan,BJ, Irlbacher-Fox, S, Kerber, K. Kolahdooz, F, LAboucan, M, Milligan, C., Rittenbach, K., Vehaeghe, T. (CoIs ) Capturing the anticipated/unanticipated consequences of COVID-19 (C19) and C19 prevention, management, and treatment strategies among Indigenous peoples in Arctic communities. CIHR (2020- 2021)
- Oekle, N. (PI), Banner, D., Fournier, B.Airth, L. Buse, C., Dalton, H., Kurtz, D., Szostak, C., Woollard, R. Perkins, D.(CoI). Building Resilient Rural Communities: Understanding the Mental Health Impacts of Climate Change Events IURC/Tri-University Partnership Research Fund (2020-2021)
- Kurtz, DLM, Jones, C. (PIs). Barry, Gillespie, Jones, King, A., King, M. McGavok, J (CoIs). Learning from Our Elders: Indigenous Perspectives of Gender in Harvesting and Gathering CIHR (2020-2021)
- Jones, C., Kurtz, DLM (PIs), Reynolds, C., Aldred, T.(CoIs). Indigenous Methodologies: Building Capacity for Telediabetes/Obesity Care in Urban Indigenous Communities. AGEWELL NCE (2020- 2023)
- Kurtz, DLM, Jones, C. (PIs), Barry, J., Hutchinson, P., Jones, C., Jung, M., King, A., King, M., Little, J., McGavok, J. (CoIs). Building Indigenous Pathways for Diabetes and Obesity Prevention and Management with Urban and Rural Communities in BC CIHR (2018-2022)
- Jarus, T. (PI), Holmes, Caron, Walker, Andrew, Campbell, Albon, Brown, Donnelly, Quinn, Kurtz, Bunting,Tsukada, Mayer, Hamzavi, Matheson, Joy, Lessard, Nevill, McLennan (CoIs). Engaging Indigenous communities in health professions educational programs at UBC, UBC Medicine Strategic Investment Fund TLEF (2020 – 2021)
- Rush, Li (PIs), Currie, Dow-Fleisner, Hasen, Jones, Kurtz, Oelke, Pesut, Plamodon (Co Aps). Advancing Rural Health Through Digital Health Technology and Social Enterprise UBC Eminence (2019-2022)
- Bill, L, King, A, King, M, Letendre, A. (PIs), Ametepee, Barnabe Beaucage, Bourque Bearskin, Brascoupe Crowshoe Demeria, Elias,Fayed, Johnson, Kurtz, Mccormick, Mcgavock,Nyberg, Oosman, Ramsden Sylliboy Venners Young (CoAp). Indigenous Wellness Environment NEIHR Network: A NEIHR Network with a focus on Indigenous wellness CIHR (2018-2019)
- Little, J.Kurtz, D. (PIs UBC Okan), Krystal, Johnson, Conklin, Soma,Singer (UBC Van): UBC Collaborative Research Mobility Award – Diabetes, Obesity, Nutrition, and Exercise , UBC (2018-2019)
- Martin Ginnis. K; Jung, M. (PIs), Berg; S. Holtzman; R. Hickey; C. Jones; D. Kurtz, J. Little; L. Lutes, N. Oelke; K. Rush (CoAp). Community Health Cluster, UBC Eminence Fund (2017-2020)
- Kurtz, DLM (PI), ; Bryant MacLean, Guerra, P. Hutchinson, C. Jones, M. Jung, J. Nyberg, D. Wilson (CoIs). Embracing A Vision for Indigenous Health: Community Access to Prevention, Self-management and Integrated Diabetes. CIHR – Pathways to Health Equity for Aboriginal Peoples Operating Grant, 2015-2016
- Jones, C. (PI), Murphy, Kurtz, Jones, Mix (CoIs). Alleviating Loneliness and Improving Physical Activity in Seniors with Hearing Loss. Peter Wall Institute, 2015-2016
- Jones, C. (PI), Jones, Kurtz, Miller, Little, Murphy (CoIs). Walk ‘n Talk for Your Life: Improving Physical Activity and Overcoming Loneliness/Social Isolation in Seniors. UBC Okanagan, 2014-2015
- (Last 4 years)
- Snook, S., Kurtz, D. L. M., Cash, P.A, Vinek, J. (2020). Love in healthcare: A Gadamerian inquiry into nurses’ experience. International Journal of Health Wellness and Society, 10(1). https://doi.org/10.18848/2156-8960/CGP/v10i01/13-32
- Jones, C.A., Siever, J., Knuff, K., Van Bergen, C..Mick, P. Little, J. Jones, G.R., Murphy, M.A., Kurtz, D., Miller, H. (2019). Walk, Talk and Listen: A pilot randomized controlled trial targeting functional fitness and loneliness in older adults with hearing loss. BMJ Open 2019, 9(4), 1-10. 9:e026169. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026169
- Schill, K, Terbasket, E., Thurston, W., Kurtz, D., Page S., McLean, F., Jim, R., & Oelke, N.D. (2019). Everything is related and it all leads up to my mental wellbeing: A qualitative study of the determinants of mental wellness among urban Indigenous Elders. The British Journal of Social Work, 49(4), 860-879. doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcz046.
- Kurtz, DLM, Janke, R., Vinek, J., Wells, T., Hutchinson, P., & Froste, A. (2018). Cultural safety education for health and social science students in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and United States. International Journal of Medical Education, 9, 271-285. Online October 25, 2018. doi:10.5116/ijme.5bc7.21e2
- Jutras, M., Lambert, J., Hwang, J., Wang, L., Simon, S., Del Medico, T., Mick, P., Miller, H., Kurtz, D., Murphy, M., Jones, C.A. (2018). Targeting the psychosocial and functional fitness challenges of older adults with hearing loss: A participatory approach to adaptation of the walk and talk for your life program. International Journal of Audiology Early Online: 1-10; 20 March 20, 2018. doi: 10.1080/14992027.2018.1448945
- Kurtz, D. LM., Mahara, S., Cash, P., Nyberg, J., & Estella Patrick Moller, E. (2017). Indigenous methodology in understanding Indigenous nurse graduate transition to practice. International Indigenous Policy Journal, 8(4). doi: 10.18584/iipj.2017.8.4.9 ttps://ir.lib.uwo.ca/iipj/vol8/iss4/9. doi: 10.18584/iipj.2017.8.4.9 https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/iipj/vol8/iss4/9.
- Ribeiro, A.A., Aciole, G.G., Spinelli Arantes, C., Kurtz, D. L.M. & Rossi, L. (2017). Work process and production of care and the work process in Brazilian Indigenous health service. Processo de trabalho e produção do cuidado em um serviço de saúde indígena no Brasil Proceso de trabajo y producción de la atención en una institución brasileña de salud indígena. Escola Anna Nery, 21 (4), e20170029. https://doi.org/10.1590/2177-9465-ean-2017-0029
- Guerra, O., & Kurtz, D. (2017). Building collaboration: A scoping review of cultural competency and safety education training for healthcare students and professionals. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 29(2), 129-142. doi:10.1080/10401334.2016.1234960.
- Lambert, J., Ghadry-Tavi, R., Knuff, K., Jutras, M., Siever, J., Mick, P., …Jones, C. A. (2017). Targeting functional fitness, hearing and health-related quality of life in older adults with hearing loss: Walk, Talk “n” Listen, study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial.Trials,18, 47.doi.org/10.1186/s13063-017-1792-z
- Shahram, S.Z., Bottorff, J.B., Oelke, N.D., Kurtz, D., Thomas, V., Spittal, P.M., and For the Cedar Project Partnership. (2017). Mapping the social determinants of substance use for pregnant-involved young Aboriginal women. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being, 2(1),1275155.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17482631.2016.1275155 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17482631.2016.1275155
- Shahram, S.Z., Bottorff, J.L., Kurtz, D.L.M., Oelke, N., Thomas, V., & Spittal, P. (2017). Understanding the life histories of pregnant-involved young Aboriginal women with substance use experiences in three Canadian Cities. Qualitative Health Research, 27(2), 249-259. doi: 10.1177/1049732316657812.
- Whitely A., Kurtz, D.L.M, & Cash, P. (2016). Stigma and developmental disabilities in nursing practice and education. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 37, 26-33.