Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Dr. Ryan Wilson is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of Nursing at the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus. The focus of his PhD research explored the symptom experiences of patients with new onset atrial fibrillation. Ryan’s interest in cardiovascular research stems from his emergency room nursing background, where he he spent 10 years practicing.
PhD, University of British Columbia, Okanagan campus
BScN, University of British Columbia Okanagan campus
Emergency Room Theory, British Columbia Institute of Technology
Diploma in Nursing, Selkirk College
Dr. Wilson’s work has focused on exploring the symptom experiences of patients with new-onset Atrial Fibrillation (AF), learning more about how patients perceive, evaluate and respond to symptoms. Key areas of his research moving forward will be promoting self-management of AF, AF secondary prevention, understanding AF treatment-seeking delay and developing interventions to promote early detection and treatment of AF. He also has a special intrest in gender and health care seeking, and virtual healthcare delivery (e.g., telehealth) for rural older adults with cardiac conditions (e.g., AF, Heart Failure). Dr. Wilson’s teaching has focused around Pathophysiology, Nursing Interventions, Team-Based Learning, Intentional Learning, and Simulation.
Rush, K.L., Andrade, J, Eves, N., Jackson, H., Loewen, P., O’Connor, B., Wilson, R. (07-2016-03-2021 ). Canadian Institutes of Health Research Project Grant: The Virtual Atrial Fibrillation Clinic: Improving Specialty Care Delivery in Rural Communities.
- Wilson, R. E., Rush, K. L., Hatt, L., Reid, R. C., & Laberge, C. G. (2020). The symptom experience of patients with atrial fibrillation before their initial diagnosis. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 35(4), 347-357.
- Wilson, R. E., Rush, K. L., Reid, R. C., & Laberge, C. G. (2020). The symptom experience of early and late treatment seekers before an atrial fibrillation diagnosis. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 1474515120952220.
- Wilson, R. (2019). The pre-diagnosis symptom experience of patients with atrial fibrillation (Doctoral dissertation, University of British Columbia).
- Wilson, R., Rush, K., Laberge, C., Reid, C., & Hatt, L. (2019). The pre-diagnosis symptom experience of patients with atrial fibrillation. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 35 (10), s200.
- Wilson, R., Rush, K., Laberge, C., Reid, C., & Hatt, L. (2017). Early versus late treatment seeking in AF. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 33(10), S222.
- Rush, K. L., Burton, L., Ollivier, R., Wilson, R., Loewen, P., Janke, R., … & Galloway, C. (2019). Transitions in Atrial Fibrillation Care: A Systematic Review. Heart, Lung and Circulation.
- Rush, K.L., Wilson, R.,Costigan, J., Donnelly, S., & Bannerman, M. (2016). Connecting Intentional Learning and Cardiac Specialty Practice: The Experiences of Bachelor of Science in Nursing Students. Nurse Education in Practice, 20, 23-30. |DOI: 10.1016/j.nepr.2016.06.006. Impact Factor: 1.314; Q1 (Nursing, Education)
- Rush, K. L., Hatt, L., Shay, M., Gorman, N., Laberge, C. G., Reid, R. C., & Wilson, R. (2017). The Stressors and Coping Strategies of Older Adults with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation Prior to and Following Direct Current Cardioversion. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 36(9), 1145-1165. |DOI:10.1177/0733464815608495]Impact Factor: 1.638; Q2 (Geriatrics and Gerontology).
- Wilson, R, Rush, K. L., Hatt, L, Reid, R. C, & Laberge, C. G. (October 21-23, 2019). The Symptom Experience of Patients in the Pre-Diagnostic period of Atrial Fibrillation.Abstract accepted for Oral presentation for the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Montreal, Quebec.
- Wilson, R, Rush, K. L., Hatt, L, Reid, R. C, & Laberge, C. G. (October 21-23, 2018). Early Versus Late Treatment Seeking in Atrial Fibrillation.Oral presentation for the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Shay, M., Rush, K.L., Hatt, L., Gorman, N., Wilson, R.,& Laberge, C. (June 5-7 2014). Psychological Distress in Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation. Poster presented at Canadian Psychological Association 75thAnnual Convention, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Rush, K.L., & Hatt, L, Laberge, C., Reid, C., Wilson, R., Shay, M. (January 2014). Taking Heart: Distress Associated with Atrial Fibrillation. Presented at the Institute of Healthy Living and Chronic Disease Prevention Partnership in Research Seminar Series.