PhD, University of British Columbia
MPH, University of California, Los Angeles
BSN, University of British Columbia
• Health promotion for children and youth
• Active, safe and inclusive play for children
• Parent perspectives about risk and safety for children
• Role of equity related factors in active, safe play: gender, income, disability, chronic illness
• Injury prevention and activity promotion experiences of families and children living with autism
Research Lab: Promoting Child and Family Health Lab
- Utilizing statistics in nursing and health care
- Research methods and community health promotion
- Nursing 425 (2013/2104) and Nursing 325 (2014/2015)
- Introduction to Statistics for Nursing
- Introduction to statistical concepts and methods
- Application of statistics’ concepts to health care research studies
- A Review of Physical Activity Self-Management in Chronic Illness (2014)
PI: L. Olsen, Co-Investigators: Kathy Rush, Ali McManus
UBC Okanagan Interdisciplinary Collaborative Research Grant
- Optimizing Safe, Active Play Options for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (2014)
PI: L. Olsen
UBC Internal Funding
- Salish Sea Girls Leadership Project Evaluation (2013-2014)
PI: L. Olsen, Co-investigator: Genevieve Creighton
SWOVA Community Development and Research Society
- Olsen, L.L., Bottorff, J.L., Raina, P., Frankish, J (2015). Low income mothers’ descriptions of children’s injury-related events: A discourse analysis. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 2, 1-12.
- Olsen, L.L., Oliffe, J.L., Burssoni, M., Creighton, G. (2013). Father’s views on their financial situations, father-child activities, and preventing child injuries. American Journal of Men’s Health, December, 2013.
- Brussoni, M., Olsen, L.L., Creighton, G., & Oliffe, J.L. (2013). Heterosexual gender relations in and around childhood risk and safety. Qualitative Health Research, 23(10), 1388-98.
- Brussoni, M, Wong, K., Creighton, G., Olsen, L.L. (2014). Rise in injury rates for older male motorcyclists: An emerging medical and public health concern. BCMJ, 56(8), 386-390.
- Olsen, L.L., Brussoni, M. Ishikawa, T. & Masse, L. (2013). Survey assessing father’s views on protecting children from injuries and promotion their engagement with risks. Canadian Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion Conference, Montreal, Quebec.