Graduate Program CoordinatorAssociate Professor
Aging Across Health Care and Geographic Contexts
My program of research seeks to enhance the health and well-being of older adults with complex health challenges, across healthcare and geographic contexts. It studies health services and transitions in care for older adults with cardiac conditions (e.g., atrial fibrillation) and has a special interest in the application of perspectives of risk. Emphasis is on designing innovative approaches in bringing services close to home for older adults and supporting their self-management. Current projects are looking at virtual healthcare delivery (e.g., telehealth) for rural older adults with cardiac conditions (e.g., Atrial Fibrillation), AF prevalence and risk factor identification in Western Province, Zambia, and the role of rural citizen led coalitions in meeting the complex healthcare needs of older adults.
New Graduate Transition
My research includes studying new graduate (NG) transition and programs and interventions to promote transition and currently involves an international collaboration.
Research Lab: Aging and Health Lab
I teach in both undergraduate and graduate programs. Currently I am teaching undergraduate research and graduate leadership. I am graduate program coordinator for the School of Nursing.
Visit Dr. Rush’s graduate students’ Theses & Dissertations for examples of graduate student research.
Selected Publications (Past 5 Years):
- Rush, K.L., Hatt, L., Janke, R., Burton, L., Ferrier, M., Tetrault, M. (2018). The Efficacy of Telehealth Delivered Educational Approaches for Patients with Chronic Diseases: A Systematic Review. Patient Education and Counseling. Published online 15 FEB 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2018.02.006
- Rush, K.L., Hatt, L., Gorman, N., Janicki, L., Polasek, P., & Shay, M. (2018). Planning Telehealth for Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation in Rural Communities: Understanding Stakeholder Perspectives. Clinical Nursing Research. Published online 20 FEB 2018. | https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/10.1177/1054773818758170
- Mushta, J., Rush, K.L., & Andersen, E. (2018). Failure to Rescue as a Nurse Sensitive Indicator. Nursing Forum, 53(1), 84-92. Published online 19 JUL 2017. |DOI: 10.1111/nuf.12215
- Rush, K.L., Hickey, S., Epp, S., & Janke, R. (2017). Nurses’ Attitudes Towards Older People Care: An Integrative Review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 26 (23-24), 4105–4116. |DOI: 10.1111/jocn.13939.
- Rush, K.L., Oelke, N.D., Shay, M., & Pedersen, C. (2017) Seeing the Rural Healthcare Journeys of Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation Through A Photographic Lens. Chronic Illness, 17(3), 204-216. |DOI.org/10.1108/JICA-04-2016-0017.
- Rush, K.L., Hatt, L., Shay, M., Gorman, N., Laberge, C., Reid, C., & Wilson, R. (2017). The Stressors and Coping Strategies of Older Adults with Persistent Atrial Fibrillation Prior To and Following Direct Current Cardioversion. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 36(9), 1145-1165. |DOI:10.1177/0733464815608495]
- Rush, K.L., Oelke, N.D., Reid, C., Halperin, F., Laberge, C., Kjorven, M. (2016). Risks and Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation in Rural Communities: An Integration Lens. Journal of Integrated Care, 24(4), 188-200.
- Rush, K.L., Kjorven, M., & Hole, R. (2016). Older Adults’ Risk Practices From Hospital to Home: A Discourse Analysis. The Gerontologist. 56 (3), 494-503.
- Rush, K.L., Wilson, R., Costigan, J., Bannerman, M., Donnelly, S. (2016). Connecting Intentional Learning and Cardiac Specialty Practice: The Experiences of Bachelor of Science in Nursing Students. Nurse Education in Practice, 20, 23-30.
- Oelke, N.O., Rush, K.L., Goma, F., Barker, J., & Marck, P. (2016). Understanding perceptions and practices for Zambian adults at risk for hypertension: An exploratory descriptive study. Global Journal of Health Science, 8(2), 248-259.
- Romyn, A., Rush, K.L., & Hole, R. (2015). The Hemodialysis Patient Experience of Vascular Access Transitions. Nephrology Nursing Journal. 42(5), 445-453.
- Rush, K.L., Oelke, N.O, Shay, M., & Reid, C. (2015). The Diverse Journeys of Rural Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation. European Journal of Patient Centered Healthcare, 3(4), 487-495. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5750/ejpch.v3i4.1022 l CirCLE: http://hdl.handle.net/2429/63154
- Taylor, B., Rush, K.L., & Robinson, C. (2015). Nurses’ Experiences of Caring for the Older Adult in the Emergency Department: A Focused Ethnography. International Emergency Nursing Journal, 23(2), 185-189. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2014.11.003
- Rush, K.L., Adamack, M., Gordon, J., Janke, R., & Ghement, I. (2015). Orientation and Transition Program Component Predictors of New Graduate Workplace Integration. Journal of Nursing Management, 23(2), 143-55. Doi: 10.1111/jonm.12106.
- Adamack, M., & Rush, K.L. (2014). Disparities in New Graduate Transition to Practice from Multiple Stakeholder Perspectives. Nursing Leadership, 27(3), 16-28.
- Rush, K.L., Adamack, M., Gordon, J., Janke, R., & Ghement, I. (2014). New Graduate Transition Programs: Relationships With Access to Support and Bullying. Contemporary Nurse, 48(2), 219-228. Doi:10.5172/conu.2013.4287
- Janke, R., & Rush, K.L. (2014). The Academic Librarian as Co-Investigator on an Interprofessional Primary Research Team: A Case Example. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 31, 116–122. Doi: 10.1111/hir.12063
- White, C., Pesut, B., & Rush, K.L. (2014). ICU patients in the Post-Anesthetic Recovery Room: A case study exploring how registered nurses manage change. Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing, 29 (2), 129-137. Doi: 10.1016/j.jopan.2013.05.014
- Rush, K.L., Adamack, M., Janke, R., Gordon, J., & Ghement, I. (2013). The helpfulness and timing of education: Relationships with new graduate transition. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 29(4), 191-196. Doi: 10.1097/NND.0b013e31829aec43
- Rush, K.L., Watts, W.E., & Stanbury, J. (2013). Older adults’ perceptions of weakness and aging. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 8(1), 1-9. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-3743.2011.00280.x.
- Rush, K.L. Watts, W.E., Janke, R. (2013). Rural and urban older adults’ perspectives of strength in their daily lives. Applied Nursing Research, 26(1), 10-16. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2012.07.001.
- Pesut, B., Laberge, C., Sawatzky, R., Malinson, J., & Rush, K. (2013). Understanding the landscape: Promoting health for rural individuals after tertiary level cardiac intervention. Journal of Rural Health, 29(1):88-96. Doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2012.00427.x.
- Rush, K.L., Adamack, M., Gordon, J., Lilly, M., & Janke, R. (2013). Best Practices of Formal New Graduate Transition Programs: An Integrative Review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50 (3), 345-356. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.06.009.
- Rush, K.L, Murphy, M.A., & Kozak, J. (2012). A photovoice study of older adults’ conceptualizations of risk. Journal of Aging Studies, 26(4), 448-458. Doi: 10.1016/j.jaging.2012.06.004.