Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
Dr. Taylor is an Assistant Professor in the School of Nursing. She has expertise in psychometric instrument development, epidemiology, systematic reviews and applied research related to ethical health care delivery for individuals who experience homelessness and substance use.
PhD, University of British Columbia
MSc, University of British Columbia
BSN, University of Victoria
Diploma Nursing, Ryerson University
University Graduate Entrance Scholarship, University of British Columbia
Western Research Training Centre, University of British Columbia
Dr. Taylor’s current research focuses on the ethical delivery of health care to individuals who experience homelessness and substance use. She has developed a psychometric instrument to assist nurses with assessing capacity to consent for health care among this important vulnerable population. She has conducted several systematic reviews related to sexual health interventions and has been a co-investigator on research teams aimed at evaluating new public health interventions that improve detection, treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted infections and HIV. She teaches courses in community practice and fundamental s of nursing.
Research Lab: Ethical Interventions for Vulnerable Populations Lab
Individuals who experience homelessness and substance use
Individuals who are vulnerable to acquiring HIV, particularly men who have sex with men
Psychometric assessment of capacity to consent
Analysis of stored blood samples to detect acute and recent HIV infections
Capacity to Consent for health care
STI Prevention interventions
Self-sampling to detect STIs
HIV window periods
Repeat STIs and co-infections
Acute and recent HIV infections
BC Centre for Disease Control
Women’s Health Research Institute
- Naveed Janjua, Dionne Gesink, Mark Gilbert, Michelle Murti, Gina S Ogilvie, Chris Archibald, Ann Burchell, James Johnston, Perry Kendall, Mel Krajden, Colin Lee, Travis Hottes, Jeannie Shoveller, Marc Steban, Darlene Taylor, Jason Wong, Tom Wong. (CI), Applying syndemic/core group theory to improve integrated prevention and service delivery for HIV and related epidemics, CIHR, 2015 – 2018.
- Mark Gilbert, Anne-Marie Nicol; Barry Adam; Ed Jackson; Iraj Poureslami; Irving Rootman; Jody Jollimore; Len Tooley; Lisa McDaid; Lorie Donelle; Olivier Ferlatte; Paul Flowers; Rick Marchand Trevor Hart; Terry Trussler; Warren Michelow; Wayne Roberts; Darlene Taylor; Gina Ogilvie. (CI) Impact of an Integrated Internet-based Testing Program for HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections in British Columbia, CIHR, 2010 – 2016.
- Richard Lester, Fawziah Marra, Kevin Elwood, Darlene Taylor (CI). Improving health system efficiency in latent tuberculosis treatment through text messaging. CIHR, 2012 – 2015.
Jane Buxton, Darlene Taylor (CI). Youth injection prevention project: interactive workshops and results dissemination. Vancouver Foundation – BCMSF. 2011.
- Richard Lester, Aaron Wong, Melanie Achen, Darlene Taylor (CI). Zinc sulfate for ano-gential warts refractory to standard treatment – a randomized controlled trial. UBC CDC Foundation. 2011.
- Richard Lester, Jan Hajek, Darlene Taylor (CI). Use of cell phones to improve compliance in patients on LTBI treatment. National Lung Association, 2011.
Fawziah Marra, Richard Lester, Jan Hajek, Darlene Taylor (CI). The use of cell phone and text messaging to improve adherence to treatment of latent TB infection. UBC CDC Foundation. 2011.
- Gina Ogilvie, Darlene Taylor (CI). Current proactice for determine capacity to consent among health care providers delivering care to addicted and mentally ill populations. UBC CDC Foundation, 2010.
- Jane Buxton, Catharine Chambers, Elizabeth Saewyc, Darlene Taylor (CI). Preventing the transition of at-risk youth into injection drug use. Vancouver Foundation, BCMSF. 2008-2010.
- Jane Buxton, Darlene Taylor (CI), Catherine Chambers. Preventin the transition of at-risk youth into injection drug use. UBC CDC Foundation. 2008.
- Gina Ogilvie, Philip Davies, Mel Krajden, Darlene Taylor (CI). Prevalence of HPV in men in British Columbia. Roche Moledular. 2006-2008.
- Gina Ogilvie, Michael Rekart, Linda Knowles, Darlene Taylor (CI) Elsie Wong. Characteristics of syphilis reinfections in British Columbia. UBC CDC Foundation, 2006-2007.
- Michael Rekart, Darlene Taylor (CI), Gina Ogilvie. Recent HIV seroconversion at time of first positive test: a comparison before and after HIV reportability. BC Ministry of Health. 2006-2007.
Dr. Taylor is available to supervise graduate students including MSN thesis and no-thesis and IGS Master’s and PhD.
- Ogilvie GS, Smith LW, Niekerk D, Khurshed F, Pedersen H, Taylor D, Thomson K, Greene SB, Babich SM, Franco EL, Coldman A. Correlates of women’s intentions to be tested for human papillomavirus for cervical cancer screening with an extended interval. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:213.
- Gao J, Berry NS, Taylor D, Venners SA, Cook VJ and Mayhew M. Knowledge and perceptions of latent tuberculosis infection among Chinese immigrants in a Canadian urban centre. International Journal of Family Medicine. 2015:546042
- Lunny C, Taylor D, Lester R, Hoang L, Wong T, Gilbert M, Krajden M, Ogilvie G. Self-collected versus clinician-collected sampling for chlamydia and gonorrhea screening: A systemic review and meta-analysis. PLOS ONE 2015;10(7):e0132776.
- Tozer K, Tzemis D, Amlani A, Cose L, Taylor D, Van Borek N, Saewyc E, Buxton J. Reorienting risk to resilience: street-involved youth perspectives on preventing the transition to injection drug use. BMC Public Health, Aug 2015;15(1):800.
- Pedersen H, Taylor D, Gilbert M, Achen M, Lester R, and Ogilvie G. A cross sectional survey exploring attitudes toward provincial electronic health record implementation among clients attending the Provincial Sexually Transmitted Infections Clinic in British Columbia. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2014; doi:10.1136/sextrans-2014-051804
- Taylor D, Durigon M, Davis H, Archibald C, Konrad B, Coombs D, Gilbert M, Cook D, Krajden M, Wong T, Ogilvie G. Probability of a false negative HIV antibody test result during the window period: a tool for pre- and post-test counselling. Int J STD AIDS. 2014 Jul 16.
- van der Kop M, Memetovic J, Patel A, Marra F, Sadatsafavi M, Hajek J, Smillie K, Thabane L, Taylor D, Johnston J, Lester R. The effect of weekly text-message communication on treatment completion among patients with latent tuberculosis infection: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial (WelTel LTBI). BMJ Open 2014;4:e004362
- Cosser, L., Tozer, K., Van Borek, N., Tzemis, D., Taylor, D., Saewyc, E., Buxton, JA. Finding a Voice: Participatory Research with Street-Involved Youth in the Youth Injection Prevention (YIP) Project. Health Promotion Practice. Sept 2014;15(5):732-8.
- van der Kop M, Memetovic J, Smillie K, Coleman J, Hajek J, Van Borek N, Taylor D, Alasaly K, Johnston J, Lester R, Marra F. Use of the WelTel mobile health intervention at a tuberculosis clinic in British Columbia: A pilot study. Journal MTM 2013;2(3):7-14.
- Lunny C, Taylor D, Memetovic J, Wärje O, Lester R, Wong T, Ho K, Gilbert M, Ogilvie G. Short message service (SMS) interventions for the prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infections: a systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews 2014, 3:7
- Gilbert M, Hottes TS, Kerr T, Taylor D; Fairley CK, Lester R, Wong T, Trussler T, Marchand R, Shoveller J, Ogilvie G. High intention to use internet-based HIV and STI testing among Canadian gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: impact of technology use and facing barriers to testing. Journal of medical internet research. 2013;15(11):e254.
- Taylor D, Lunny C, Wong T, Krajden M, Hoang L, Li N, Gilbert M, Lester R and Ogilvie G. Self-collected versus clinician-collected sampling for sexually transmitted infections: A systemic review and meta-analysis protocol. Systematic Reviews. 2013;2:93.
- Taylor D. Outcomes Related to STI Partner Notification. NCCID Evidence Review: Partner Notification. October 2013. Available at https://cdn.metricmarketing.ca/www.nccid.ca/files/Evidence_Reviews/Partner_Notification/NCCID_PartnerNotify_Taylor_04.pdf
- Taylor D, Masse L, Ho A, Rekart ML, Tyndall M, Henry B, Clifton J, Peters L, Ogilvie G and Buxton J. A brief tool to assess capacity to consent for medical care among homeless individuals with problematic substance use: study protocol. Archives of Public Health. 2013;71:11.
- Ogilvie GS, Cook DA, Taylor DL, Rank C, Kan L, Yu A, Mei W, van Niekerk DJ, Coldman AJ, Krajden M. Population-based evaluation of type-specific HPV prevalence among women in British Columbia, Canada. Vaccine. 2013 Feb 4;31(7):1129-33.
- Funk A, Van Borek N, Taylor D, Grewal P, Tzemis D, Buxton J. Climbing the ‘Ladder of Participation’: Engaging experiential youth in a participatory research project. Canadian Journal of Public Health.2012; May 24;103(4):e288-92.
- Lester R, van der Kopp M, Taylor D, Coleman J, Marra F. M-health: connecting patients to improve population and public health. BCMJ 2011;53(5):218.
- Hoang L, Gilbert ML, Rossi MF, Haase D, Wright J, Sicard N, Beaudoin C, Taylor D, Gratrix J, Belzak L, Wong T, Jayaraman G. Trends in vaccine-induced immunity to hepatitis B among Canadian street-involved youth. J Urban Health. 2010 Mar;87(2):337-48. Epub 2010 Feb 20
- Marra C, Ogilvie GS, Gastonguay L, Colley L, Taylor DL, Marra F. Patients with Genital Warts Have a Decreased Quality of Life. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2009;36(4):258-260.
- Ogilvie GS, Moniruzzaman A, Taylor DL, Knowles L, Jones H, Kim P, Rekart ML. A Population Based Study of Syphilis Re-infection in British Columbia, Canada over a Decade. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2009 Jun 1;48(11):1554-8.
- Ogilvie GS, Taylor DL, Krajden M, Achen M, Cook D, Davies PO Self collection of Genital HPV in Heterosexual Men. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2009;85:221-225.
- Saewyc C, Taylor D, Homma Y, Ogilvie GS. Trends in sexual health and risk behaviours among adolescent students in British Columbia. Can J Hum Sex 2008;17:1-13.
- Sandstra I, Gold F, Jones E, Harris P, Taylor D. Cyber Outreach Education Online. Canadian Nurse June 2008;104(6):24-31.
- Ogilvie GS, Taylor D, Rekart ML, Gilbert M, Trussler T, Marchand R. Seeking sexual partners on the Internet: A marker for risky sexual behaviour in MSM. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2008;99(3):185-188.
- Ogilvie G, Krajden M, Maginley J, Isaac-Renton J, Hislop G, Elwood-Martin R, Sherlock C, Taylor D, Rekart ML. Feasibility of self-collection of specimens for human papillomavirus testing in hard-to-reach women. CMAJ 2007 Aug 28;177(5):480-3.
- Taylor D, Steinberg MH, Wong E, Knowles L, spencer D, Christie T, Ogilvie G, Rekart ML. Evaluation of the Impact of Making HIV a Reportable Infection in British Columbia. 2006. BC Centre for Disease Control. Vancouver, BC.
- Ogilvie GS, Knowles L, Wong E, Taylor D, Tigchelaar J, Brunt C, James L, Maginley J, Jones H, and Rekart ML. Incorporating a social networking approach to enhance contact tracing in a heterosexual outbreak of syphilis. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2005 81: 124-127.
- Jones H, Taylor D, Montgomery CA, Patrick DH, Money D, Vipond JC, Morshed MG, Ruissard DA, Rekart ML. Prenatal and congenital syphilis in British Columbia. J Obstet Gynaegcol Can. 2005 May;27(5):467-72.
- Sullivan LD, Weir MJ, Kinahan JF, and Taylor DL. A comparison of the relative merits of radical perineal and radical retropubic prostatectomy. BJU Int 2000 Jan;85(1):95-100.
- Chambers GK, Fenster HN, Cripps S, Jens M, and Taylor D. An assessment of the use of intravesical potassium in the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis. Urol. 1999 Sep;162(3 Pt 1):699-701.
- Chow VD, Goldenbery L, Paterson RF, Taylor D. Cuff-flow evaluation of the bladder outlet: a preliminary investigation of a non-invasive pressure-flow measurement device. Canadian Journal of Urology 1999. 6(2):732-736
- Turner MO, Taylor D, Bennett R, and FitzGerald JM. A randomized trial comparing peak expiratory flow and symptom self-management plans for patients with asthma attending a primary care clinic. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med 1998 Feb;157(2):540-6.