Carole Robinson PhD is a Professor Emeritus in Nursing. She is an advanced practice nurse in Family Systems Nursing and Pain and Symptom Management and Palliative Care. Her program of research focuses on assisting families to live well with chronic life-limiting illness and at end of life. Recent projects have explored interventions to enhance engagement in advance care planning and in-the-moment medical decision making in cancer care. She has developed a decision support guide for family palliative caregivers that is being implemented and evaluated. Carole was the President of the International Family Nursing Association (2015-2017).
PhD, Nursing, University of Calgary
MSN, Nursing Education, University of British Columbia
BSN, University of Alberta
BSc, Biology, University of Alberta
Scholarly and Professional Activities: Areas of Special Interests and Accomplishments
Carole holds an ongoing appointment as a Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Navarra in Pamplona (2014- onwards) where she works with an internationally recognized palliative research team. Carole was invited to join the team because of her expertise in relation to qualitative research and palliative care and research.
In 2010, Carole received the College of Registered Nurses Award of Distinction Nursing.
Teaching & Supervision: Areas of Special Interest and Accomplishments
Carole is an award winning teacher who teaches in both the undergraduate and graduate programs. Recent teaching includes nursing research, a senior level clinical course focused on leadership and change, and graduate courses on nursing knowledge, psycho-social oncology, and an inter-professional course on working clinically with families. Carole supervises MSN thesis students and PhD students. She has been a visiting lecturer at national and international sites including the University of McGill, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University Federal do Rio de Janeiro, the University of Sao Paulo, and the University of Navarra in Pamplona Spain.
View the Decision Guide: http://hdl.handle.net/2429/59786
|Family palliative caregivers||Interpretive Description;||Supporting decision making;|
|Cancer patients||Intervention/resource development||end of life; death at home|
|Long term care residents||(knowledge translation)||Advance care planning|
|Resource testing||Transitions in care|
BC Cancer Agency
CARENET (Canadian Researchers at End of Life)
Dr. Robinson is no longer supervising graduate students.
Visit Dr. Robinson’s past graduate students’ Theses & Dissertations for examples of graduate student research.
- You, J. J., Allatt, P., Howard, M., Robinson, C. A., Simon, J., Sudore, R. L., Tan, A., Bernard, C., Swinton, M., Jiang, X., Klein, D., McKenzie, M., Fyles, G., Heyland, D. (2019). Short graphic values history tool for decision making during serious illness. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. DOI:1136/bmjspcare-2018-001698 Open access Epub ahead of print February 6, 2019.
- *Aparicio, M., Arantzamendi, M., Robinson, C. A., & Centeno, C. (2019). Gratitude between patients and their families and health professionals: A scoping review. Journal of Nursing Management, 27: 286-300. DOI: 10.1111/jonm.12670. First published August 2018 online. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12670
- Arantzamendi, M., García-Rueda, N., Carvajal Valcárcel, A., Robinson, C. A. (2018). People with advanced cancer: The process of living well with awareness of dying. Qualitative Health Research, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732318816298
- Cummings, G. G., McLane, P., Reid, R. C., Tate, K., Cooper, S., Rowe, B. H., Estabrooks, C. A., Cummings, G. E., Abel, S., Lee, J., Robinson, C. A., Wagg, A. (2018). Fractured Care: A window into emergency transitions in care for long term care residents with complex health needs.Journal of Aging and Health, 1-30. DOI: 10.1177/0898264318808908.
- *Cresswell, M. A., Robinson, C. A., Fyles, G., Bottorff, J. L., & Sudore, R. (2018). Evaluation of an advance care planning web-based resource: Applicability for cancer treatment patients. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, 26(3), 853-860. DOI : 1007/s00520-017-3901-7. Published online ahead of print September 27, 2017.
- Rhee, J. Y., Garralda, E., Namisango, E., Luyrika, E., de Lima, L., Powell, R. A., Robinson, C. A., & Centeno, C. (2018). Factors affecting palliative care development in Africa: In-country experts’ perceptions in seven countries. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 55(5), 1313-1320.
- Centeno, C., Robinson, C. A., Noguera, A., Arantzamendi, M., Echarri, F., & Pereira, J. (2017). Palliative care and the arts: Vehicles to introduce medical students to patient-centred decision-making and the art of caring. BMC Medical Education, 17(257). DOI 10.1186/s12909-017-1098-6
- Arantzamendi, M., Lopez-Dicastillo, O., Robinson, C., Carrasco, J. M. (2017). Investigación cualitativa. Una puerta abierta en la investigación clínica en Cuidados Paliativos. [Qualitative research. An open door to Palliative Care clinical research]. Medicina Paliativa, 24(4), 219-226. DOI: 10.1016/j.medipa.2016.05.002.
- Robinson, C. A. (2017). Families living well with chronic illness: The healing process of moving on. Qualitative Health Research, 27(4), 447-461. DOI:10.1177/1049732316675590
- Sudore, R. L., Heyland, D. K., Barnes, D. E., Howard, M., Fassbender, K., Robinson, C. A., Boscardin, J., & You, J. J. (2017). Measuring advance care planning: Optimizing the advance care planning engagement survey. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 53(4), 669-681. doi: 10.1016/ j.jpainsymman.2016.10.367
- Robinson, C. A., Fyles, G., & McKenzie, M. (2017). Oncologist experience implementing goals of care discussions in everyday ambulatory oncology practice: Implications for education. Journal of Cancer Education, 32(2), 301-307. DOI: 10.1007/s13187-015-0915-z
- Robinson, C. A., Bottorff, J. L., *McFee, E., Bissell, L. J., & Fyles, G. (2017). Caring at home until death: Enabled determination. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, 25(4), 1229-1236. DOI: 10.1007/s00520-016-3515-5
- Robinson, C. A. (2016). Trust in health care relationships: A theoretical coalescence. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 3, 1-11. DOI: 10.1177/2333393616664823
- Howard, M., Bonham, A. J., Heyland D., K., Sudore, R., Fassbender, K., Robinson, C. A., McKenzie, M., Elston, D., & You, J. J. (2016). Measuring Engagement in Advance Care Planning: A Multi-centre Feasibility Study. BMJ Open. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010375
- Duggleby, W., Robinson, C., Kassalainen, S., Pesut, B., Nekolaichuk, C., MacLeod, R., Keating N., Santos Salas, A., Hallstrom, L., Fraser, K., Williams, A., Swindle, J. & Struthers-Montford, K. Which Way from Here? Navigation for the Care of Older Rural Adults with Terminal Illness (2016). Canadian Journal on Aging, 35(2), 206-214. DOI: 10.1017/S0714980816000131, Published online: 19 April 2016.
- Pesut, B., Hooper, B., Robinson, C. A., Bottorff, J., Sawatzky, R., & Dalhuisen, M. (2015). Feasibility of a rural palliative supportive service. Rural and Remote Health, 15:3116 (Online). Available: http://www.rrh.org.au
- Hole, R., Robinson, C. A., Stainton, T., Lige, S., Crawford, C. (2015). Home sharing and people with intellectual disabilities: Tips from the experts! Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 12(4), 279-287. doi: 10.1111/jppi.12138
- Bottorff, J.L., Robinson, C.A., Sarbit, G., Graham, R. B., Kelly, M.T., & Torchalla, I. (2015). A motivational, gender-sensitive smoking cessation resource for family members of people with lung cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum 42 (4), 363-370. doi: 1188/15.ONF.42-04AP https://onf.ons.org/motivational-gender-sensitive-smoking-cessation-resource-family-members-patients-lung-cancer Advanced print exclusive April 29, 2015.
- Bottorff, J. L., Haines-Saah, R., Kelly, M., Oliffe, J.L., Torchalla, I., Poole, N., Greaves, L., Robinson, C.A., Ensom, M.H.H., Okoli, C.T.C., & Phillips, J.C. (2014). Gender, smoking and tobacco reduction and cessation: A scoping review. International Journal for Equity in Health, 13:114 (12 December 2014). doi:10.1186/s12939-014-0114-2 http://www.equityhealthj.com/content/13/1/114
- *Taylor, B., Rush, K. L., & Robinson, C. A. (2014). Nurses’ experiences of caring for older adults in the Emergency Department. International Emergency Nursing. Published online November 11, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2014.11.003DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ienj.2014.11.003DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi: 10.1016/j.ienj.2014.11.003
- Robinson, C. A., Bottorff, J. L., Pesut, B., Oliffe, J. L., Tomlinson, J. (2014). The male face of caregiving: A scoping review of men caring for a person with dementia. American Journal of Men’s Health, 8(5), 409-426. doi:1177/1557988313519671
- Pesut, B., Hooper, B., Sawatzky, R., Robinson, C., Bottorff, J., Dalhuisen, M. (2013). Program assessment framework for a rural palliative support service. Palliative Care: Research and Treatment, 7, 7-17. doi:10.4137/PCRT.S11908